Sunday 20 November 2016

Cross-country



My wife was away this week, so running had to be squeezed in between taxiing children to their activities, dishes, and laundry.

M: swim 1300m
T: nothing
W: 7 miles (1:03)
Th: 4.5 miles (intervals with club on a cold night)
F: nothing
Sat: 5 miles cross-country race
Sun: 8 miles in the woods

*

Saturday was a cross country meet, and I ran as a member of my local running club. It was 5 degrees C (41 degrees F.), and muddy. The race was comprised of three laps through the woods and some saturated farmland. By the time I ran, the last race of the day, the trail was a shoe-sucking bog in places.

On the first lap I tried to stick with another member of my club, but other runners kept getting between us. Still, I was able to catch back up to him on the hills. On the second lap, he pulled away a bit, and I just tried to hang on.

Running hill races likely helps in picking one's footing through woods, and you get used to running on uneven ground. At least this is what I told myself.

The third lap eventually arrived, and I felt like I was just hanging on during the climbs. On the descents though, I could open it up a bit. Through the finish chute, I tried to push, and no one passed me.

I felt like a lot of people passed me during the race, but hopefully running this type of race helps with my conditioning.

And, on a cold, short November day, it seems fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment